About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Sol LeWitt

I saved the best for last. My absolute, favorite artist of all time, Sol LeWitt.  His art evolved from stoic contructions to life and color filled installations. In general, his stuff is pretty cool. While I was at the Hirshhorn, I actually almost missed one of his wall drawing because it was a grid drawn out in graphite that covered the middle section of an entire wall. I thought it was just part of the wall until I saw his name on a plaque and started looking for the art.
One of his many "Wall Drawings"
But what you guys might have seen is his Spotch #22, the art that started it all for me. It's in the lobby of the VMFA and it just looks like fun. To me, it's like an explosion at the Willy Wonka factory that has been frozen in time. So really what could be better: candy, sculpture, and color all in one place? He is the perfect balance of artist to me, rules combined with freedom, color combined with shape; I know it sound silly, but he makes art I actually want to look at.
Splotch #22

No comments:

Post a Comment