About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Lisa Yuskavage

Lisa Yuskavage is an American artist, born in 1962. I first saw her art and thought "that's what my figures look like," only she does it intentionally. I can always appreciate artists who disagree with our cultures perception of the female body. The amount of pressure that women, young and old, feel to look perfect is unbelievable. None of us can deny that we care how we look and how others perceive those looks, and for some, it is a dangerous obsession. In this painting there is a stark contrast to the girl in the photograph on the wall and the sexualized girl in the room. But which is better? Where can you find the balance between the uniformity in the picture and the conformity to expectations?
Yuskavage stated that her work is an expression of her own "self-deprecation, social climbing, and constant longing for perfection."

No comments:

Post a Comment