About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

David Herbert

David Herbert is an American sculptor born July 16, 1977. He received his B.F.A. from the Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle and an M.F.A. from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. He was initially a video artist before changing to sculpture.

Mickey 2008-2009
The majority of his work focuses in popular icons and symbols of American culture (Superman, Mickey Mouse, Empire State Building). The focus of his work is to reinvent our cultural symbols to more befit out culture today. Meaning that each one of his works is set up to appears as though it is in a crises. One reviewer said his work is "pop culture icon(s) updated for a turbulent and anxious new era."

Beautiful Superman 2007
He manages to take icons and symbols and recreate them in a very skillful way but with the appearance that they will, at any minute, fall to pieces. 

Monarch 2007


No comments:

Post a Comment