About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Margaux Lange

Now, bear with me, because many would argue these next two aren't real artists. But I think they are fun, and funny... and Margaux Lange and Beth Howard chop up Barbie into little pieces and kill her, respectively. Personally, I don't like Barbie, so this is down my alley.

Margaux Lange was born February 14, and she received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Maryland Institute College of Art in 2001, where her Plastic Body Series was first conceived. 




"Barbie dolls were immensely important for fueling my creative life as a child, and ironically continue to be such for me as an adult. My Plastic Body Series jewelry collection is the result of a life-long fascination with the icon, and a desire to re-purpose mass produced materials into handmade, wearable art jewelry."


Margaux with her Barbies
To Margaux, the purpose of her art is to celebrate the relationship Barbie has had in pop culture and her own personal life. But I like to think that subconsciously it is criticizing the way Barbie contributes to the marginalization and objectification of women.




Visit her shop on Etsy
Visit her official web site


Her Barbie art from High School

No comments:

Post a Comment