About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Laura Harris

Laura Harris was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1961. She is the daughter of the late Midwest sculptor/painter, Walter Lenz. Laura has been working in mixed media, including fiber art, acrylic art and mosaic art for over 25 years. More recently, Laura has concentrated on mosaic portrait art where, after sketching out a design, each individual piece of tesserae is hand cut to create unique mosaics. Her tesserae includes venetian smalti and dichroic glass, 24 Kt. Italian gold smalti, porcelain, ceramic tile, mirror, stone and salvaged or recycled materials. Laura’s work has been compared to some of the great European mosaic artists of the 21st century, and when you see her work, you will understand why.


Portrait of a Ballerina

Swan Lake Mosaic Ballerina
Harris was not always an artist, she was a teacher and speach pathologist until her health began to decline, it was only recently that she discovered her incredible talent for drawing and creating mosaics.

Old Man in a Hat
“Today, the world can appear fragmented and its people disconnected, mosaics allow me to fuse the pieces together to create something cohesive and beautiful , what I wish the world could be.”

Evolution of a Wish
Sorry there are so many pictures, but I just loved all of them!

Ashima

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog from England, I've got a lots of adorable inspiration of those pictures!

    With love:

    Pikaresz,
    A hungarian mosaic-fun :)

    ReplyDelete