About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Julian Schnabel

Julian Schnabel in 1987
Julian Schnabel was born October 26, 1951, and is an American artist and filmmaker. He has won a Golden Globe, as well as BAFTA, a Cesar Award, a Golden Palm, two nominations for the Golden Lion and an Academy Award nomination. But in the 1980s, Schnabel became known widely for his "plate paintings"—large-scale paintings set on broken ceramic plates.

Pascin Pig Passin Time 1983
I love these plate paintings 1- because I love mosaics, or anything like them, 2- because he uses something you might get at a thrift store and turned it into art, and 3- because I can only imagine how much fun it is to break all those plates!

Dennis Hopper Portrait
Schnabel's signature works contain an underlying edge of brutality, while remaining "suffused with compositional energy." Schnabel also claims that he's "aiming at an emotional state, a state that people can literally walk into and be engulfed."

The Patients and the Doctors 1978

No comments:

Post a Comment