About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wim T. Schippers

After being around art for a while, you find that some of the weird stuff isn't so weird anymore. This certainly hold true for me with Wim T. Schippers. He was born in 1942 and is a Dutch performance artist, conceptual artist, sculptor, comedian, writer, voice actor, producer, as well as several other short-lived professions.
His most notable art installations include a piece in the Fodor Museum where he covered the floor of an entire room with a layer (almost 4 inches thick) of salt, and several tons of broken glass. Another notable installation was a nearly 14 foot high purple chair that Schippers placed in the middle of Vondelpark, Amsterdam. The philosophy behind his art is,

"in principle everything is meaningless and absurd, but is therefore worth the effort nevertheless."

His art work has been fairly unknown, at least in america, but he is drawing a lot of attention with his "Peanut Butter Platform" installation. This piece is exactly what it sounds like; it's a platform made out peanut butter. It is approximately 45 x 13 feet, and apparently blends into its surroundings, aka. the floor. Because the museum doesn't think a fence isn't "beautiful enough," there is nothing preventing museum-goers from stepping in/on the piece. Apparently when that happens (and it does happen), the 'vandals' are expected to pay to repair the damage. Stinks for anyone who can't afford to repair a peanut butter rug- I wonder how much the museum can actually charge for that?

(Kind of looks like a rug to me too)

No comments:

Post a Comment