About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jose Manuel Merello

"Everybody asks themselves what art is.
I think that art is any creation
that is able to lift the spirit to a higher plane
of emotion and wonderment."

As I looked at Merello's paintings, I realized I was drawn to them because of their striking resemblance to Picasso and Matisse; two of my all-time favorite artists. I also love them because of their heavy Spanish influence. Upon researching Merello further, I found out I was right, he is a Spanish artist, who draws most of his inspiration from Picasso and Matisse. His vivid use of color and his gestural strokes are what really define his work, like a modern "Woman with a Hat." But what also drew me to him was how he capture the flair of the Spanish culture; fast-paced, full of life, exotic and charming. I have been to Ecuador and Brazil, and although they aren't Spain, they hold a similar energy. When I see Merello's landscapes I instantly remember the Brazilian favelas, and the vibrancy of the marketplaces in Ecuador. So for me, Merello brings back the energy and charm that Brazil and Ecuador had for me, while simultaneously incorporating the two styles of Picasso and Matisse. Plus, Merello's works are fun; another characteristic of my favorite works. 

1 comment:

  1. Jose Merello has been a great inspiration to me in the development of my painting style. It amazes me how he can make a seemingly chaotic assemblage of marks, colors and patterns into such cohesive and visually satisfying paintings. I strive to do the same. www.terryleecrump.com

    ReplyDelete