About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Nyo Win Maung

Nyo Win Maung is an artist from Myanmar (Burma) who is also self-taught. He started as a painter, but then moved to installations, performance, and video art. I originally was drawn to him because of his installation called "Gloomy Globalization" that uses rubber gloves and trunk of a coconut tree as a "pressure roller." The concept behind the piece is that 
"All humans are traveling through their lives from beginning to end, together. Meanwhile, some are running over others rights and oppressing others atmospheres, minds and bodies."



I find this interesting because the nature of many Asian societies is traditionally collectivist, but with the influence of globalization, many cultural practices are being left behind in the name of advancement, individualism, and global economic competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment