About Me

My photo
A little about me! - I grew up in Atlanta, GA, and moved to Richmond, VA in 2001. - I was Home-Schooled - I have three older sisters, even our dogs are girls. -I also love art and plan to teach high-school art. We'll see if I survive, but so far, so good!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nicole Dextras

For my first artist, I'm looking at Nicole Dextras, a Canadian fashion designer, artist, and environmentalist. It would be pretty hard to argue that her work is difficult to accomplish; making outfits out of plants, but her work also carries a message. If you have every heard a Tyra-Banks-rant on "ANTM" about the cutthroat nature of fashion, you know what a brutal industry it can be, but Dextras takes it a step further. Through her works, she is making a statement about the unsustainable practices of the fashion industry. These "weedrobes" as she calls her pieces are made from plants that will ultimately decay and rot, but the message it to make clothes that are capable of being reused instead of filled with chemicals. As Dextras puts it:
"The Weedrobes philosophy is based on being a free thinker, creating one's own sense of style while also raising awareness about the impact of industry on our eco-system. Our most effective tool for change is for consumers to demand more equitable products. It may be impractical to wear clothing made with leaves, but our future depends on the creation of garments made from sustainable resources."

I personally like her because she uses art, fashion, and flowers (three of my favorite things) to comment on the fairly serious side of consumerism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment